Followers

Friday, July 18, 2008

GI/Pulminology at Nemours

We went to meet to of our new doctors at Nemours Children's Clinic. The organization of the hospital is wonderful. There are always new things to adjust to with new state laws and insurance. I was disappointed to see my new doctors did not have Caroline's paperwork from Charlotte. We have to change her Mickey button every 4-6 months and I usually do it at home. Typically we get a script and our health care company delivers one along with her milk and food pump bags. Here in Florida the GI doctor says we have to set up an appointment with surgery center to measure the length of her button and they will replace it. So they will charge me a surgery charge instead of a co- pay even though it is not surgery. So I do not have an extra mickey button at home after this one. They also would not let me schedule it at the GI office so I am having to learn all of the red tape here. It does not set well with me and all new doctors and new rules. It seems a way for them to get more money. We went to pulminology and really do not have to go back unless needed. he tried to give me a new asthma medicine and a spacer inhaler and I told him we did not need a new way to treat her or new meds. So once again they tried to get more money. What we have is fine and I can get refills from the pediatrician. These doctors are older and were not interested in us as a person or Caroline's syndrome. They simply wanted to treat symptoms. So I am trying to get a script from our NC doctor and get a mickey button sent home for me to place for free. If I get an extra one we will not have to go to the surgery center for about 7-8 months. I like the orthopedist the best!!!!
Two new things we have learned that Caroline may need to go to the dermatologist so we know about her heat and sun exposure risks. Her cafe au latte spots are worse here in the heat. She also needs Gatorade during the day to replace all the sodium that she sweats out. So I can give her Gatorade through out the day in small doses.
On a lighter note, our really good friends from Texas are coming to visit. We are too excited and plan to do lots of fun things during the next five days.

2 comments:

thejae said...

Hi Sweetie...I'm questioning whether that is a 'Florida insurance' regulation, or if that is merely 'these set of doctors' who have set the 'surgery criteria'. Do you HAVE to use these doctors? Are there other doctors that you might could try? You do not necessarily have to accept the surgery decision as final just because these particular doctors say so. I know you're probably tired of finding new doctors, but if you don't like these guys, or the way they work, you can find new doctors, and at the very least get a second opinion, particularly in light of the fact that your last set of doctors did things very differently, and more conveniently for you and your family.

Hugs all around...Love, Julie

Kara Baumann said...

I'm praying for you. love, Kara